Tuesday 13 June 2017

My Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Be Using An eReader


Disclaimer: I love books. All books. Hardbacks, paperbacks and eBooks too. However, I probably will always prefer hard copies of books, there's something irreplaceable about experiencing every physical part of reading a book: the texture of the pages; the scent of books fresh off the printer or musky and well loved; the feel of the cover or just holding the beautiful designs in your hand. That being said, eBooks are definitely growing on me and I am really beginning to appreciate them! They won't replace my bookshelves but my Kindle is certainly an extension of my personal library. Therefore, I now present to you my top 10 reasons why you should be using an eReader!


1. Books are cheaper!

Often, eBooks are far cheaper than physical copies of books, particularly old releases or books that are initially released as hardbacks. Furthermore, many of the classics such as Dracula or A Tale of Two Cities are free to read on an eReader, so you can expand your literary horizons without spending a penny!

2. It's easy to carry around
If you're delving into the works of Tolstoy, an eReader is far lighter to lug around than a copy of War and Peace. There are many different brands to choose from but most are small and light, easy to slide into your handbag, hand luggage or even pocket!

3. You can carry around as many books as those that fill the Hogwarts Library. In your pocket.
If you're an avid bookworm like myself, going away on holiday can mean reading more than a book a day while you're away. However, this can also mean that your case weighs as much as if you are trying to smuggle a baby elephant away with you. An eReader solves this problem, you can take away an entire library without tipping the scales at the baggage check in.

4. Highlighting your favourite quotes is easy
Personally, I love keeping track of my favourite book quotes. When a land stands out to me, I don't want to forget it but I would never take a pen or highlighter to my beloved paperbacks. With an eBook, I don't have the fear I'm vandalising literature, it's quick and easy and all that's left is a faint underline. Additionally, you can view all your highlights in one place when using a Kindle so that's a great way to keep track of your reading journey or find your old favourites.

5. You can shop, read and share your favourite books all in one place
What is so great about the Kindle in particular is that you can shop for all your books, read them and share them via social media all on one device with the click of a button. You can instantly review a book in the middle of the night using only your eReader if your heart so desires and I love having all that literary freedom at your fingertips.



6. Instant suggestions as to what you should read as soon as you've finished your book
If you've ever read a book so brilliant you feel lost as to what you should read next, unsure as to what could ever measure up to that piece of literature then look no further than an eReader where suggestions as to what others who enjoyed that book or author are also reading. This is a great way to find new books with suggestions tailored to you!

7. You can see a percentage of how much you have read
If you have a reading goal, eBooks are easy to keep track of your progress as a percentage appears at the bottom of the pool. This makes it easy to pace yourself and you can also view how much you've read in a reading session, which is always fun at 3am when you realise you've been hooked and inadvertently read way into the night!

8. It's more eco-friendly!
Paperbacks and hardbacks do have an effect on the environment. Yes, most publishers have switched to using recycled paper but the fact is we live in a consumerist society where we are overproducing and buying products that are causing deforestation. EBooks are helping to tackle this problem, so even substituting one book a month for an eBook can help the environment. 

9. Sometimes you can receive a free sample of the eBook so you can get hooked before you buy
It's really handy to be able to view the first chapter of a book and get a feel for the kind of story it is before making a purchase. There's no commitment or pressure to buy, just a casual flick through to see if something reels you in. This can be really great if you're in a reading slump!

10. You can easily view the bestsellers worldwide and in each genre of literature
One of the best features on the Kindle is the Storefront where you can easily view all of the league tables for books of all genres worldwide, finding out what has bookworms hooked from all over the world and in your own country. 

I could never give up my paperbacks, but I could never give up my eBooks either. A 50/50 split is the way to go I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment